Exeter grad and Love Island star Dr Alex made Mental Health Ambassador

He will be working to ‘make mental health a priority’

Exeter alumnus Dr Alexander George, aka Dr Alex from 2018’s Love Island, has been appointed as the Government’s Youth Mental Health Ambassador.

Starting Exeter in 2010, after taking a year out, he went on to graduate with a distinction and has continued his work in the NHS as a key worker during the pandemic.

He tweeted today saying “The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has appointed me as the Ambassador for Mental Health. I will be working with the Government to make mental health a priority, for both current and future generations. Now more than ever we realise how fundamental this is. It’s time for change.”

Dr Alex has been open about the loss of his younger brother over the first national lockdown in July 2020. He has since been very vocal on his social media platforms, stressing the importance of looking after one’s mental health, and particularly that of young people.

In recent weeks, many people have criticised influencers who have been posting pictures and videos of themselves lapping up the sun abroad, under the guise of working, in places such as Dubai and the Maldives, including Dr. Alex’s fellow 2018 Love Island contestant, Laura Anderson.

Dr Alex, on the other hand, has been dubbed a true influencer, and praised for his NHS work and spreading both awareness and positivity, throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

Exeter University tweeted their support of Dr Alex, saying they were “incredibly proud of our alumnus.”

Featured Image via Instagram: @dralexgeorge