Exeter student facing jail for a ‘sharking’ attack

And he’s more worried about missing his second year exams

An Exeter undergrad will get to face his second year exams before finding out if he will be sent to prison for stalking lone women.

19-year-old Vadim Edseev, who studies Business, faces jail for a ‘sharking’ attack upon a terrified lone woman in the street on September 11th 2015.

Having been caught on CCTV stalking his victim through the centre of Exeter and then without warning approaching her and putting a hand between her legs, Western Way resident Edseev admitted assault by penetration at Exeter Crown Court.

Videos of similar sharking attacks, where men stalk a lone woman, were found on his computer by the police along with pornographic evidence on his phone. This is different to the stock phrase of going sharking in nightclubs, where people pretend to swim away like a shark when they’re on the pull.

Edseev’s defence made clear his hope to sit his second year exams before being sentenced, and also a desire to present references from his family that explain his situation in Exeter.

Edseev’s wish was granted, as Judge Graham Cottle adjourned sentence until May, granting him on a curfew so he can complete his exams at Exeter.

However, the judge told Edseev: “I am adjourning sentence to allow you to sit your exams and for a pre sentence report, which will also find out the attitude of the University to you pleading guilty to this very serious offence. The fact that I am renewing your bail doesn’t mean you will not receive a custodial sentence. The overwhelming likelihood is that you will for such a serious sexual attack.”