Left alone in TP? Time to learn the art of third wheeling

How to take full advantage of an awkward situation

Everyone at some point has been that extra person who is awkwardly on the side line, suddenly no longer really wanted at that particular moment.

Whether you’re in a happy relationship on a night out with a bunch of single friends, or you’re the single person who has to stand back and watch your mates on the prowl – being the third wheel is undoubtedly one of the most awkward situations.

Stuck at the bar in Moz while your mate snogs the face of someone they’ve just met, or wandering the TP smoking area looking for other friends, it’s not an easy experience.

Getting in the way

However, its not all bad – in fact there are major perks of being the third wheel.

The Selfie

Snap a classic Snapchat/Selfie, just to make sure that you can remind your friends of their nights escapades the next morning. This provides ideal ammo for any future arguments, and once your friend notices you snapping away, particularly if you’re obnoxious enough to light up Cavern with a flash, they’ll probably stop. You’ll be a bad friend, but at least you’ll have a mate.

Make new friends

Head to the bathroom, you are bound to find your new drunk best friend by bonding over how drunk you are, what you’re wearing and the stupidity of the male sex. Next thing you’re at the bar doing shots with your new BFFs and they end up being your third wheel.

Stupid males

Guilt-free Junk Food

If you’re lucky enough to be in a club that has somewhere to get any form of cheese covered junk food, get it. No need to be embarrassed.

At last year’s SSB, at least half the people hooking up did so over a greasy burger.

Making friends

The ‘I’m Lost’ Card

Perhaps the most effective one in the book is the “Oh sorry I’m lost”. Take full advantage of ‘being alone’, suss out the room, target and move in.

A simple line like “haha my friend is getting with someone else so I’m going to chill with you” will go a long way. This simple line has a strong 90 per cent success rate – particularly in the TP smokers on a Wednesday night, but only if ones are your vibe.

Finally, have enjoy it!