Exeter holds its position as 161st ‘best’ uni in the world

Reading beat us

The average University of Exeter has retained its 161st place in the QS World University League Table.

In just a few years Exeter has hauled its way through the world rankings from 182nd where it was placed back in 2012.

Although it’s not a complete shit sandwich,  Geographers can take solace in their strong placing at 28th.

Look at the mediocrity

Other more positive results include History and Archaeology at 34, English Language and Literature at 48 and Psychology at 51.

History and Archaeology is the subject to make the biggest leap in the rankings, being placed 101st in 2014. Geography has risen by seven places, while English Language and Literature dropped by five.

The Massachussetts Insitute of Technology takes first place in the world rankings closely followed by Harvard and Cambridge.

Exeter can be happy however that it has one up on its local varsity match rivals at Plymouth University, who rank only 651st.

Professor Sir Steve Smith, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Exeter said:

“This latest ranking reinforces Exeter’s position among the best universities in the world.

“They demonstrate not just our growing academic reputation through world-leading research, but also how our students benefit from our strong employer reputation.

Fourth year Modern Linguist Thea Berry said: “Yeah its alright. It’s quite cool I suppose.”

Third year Biologist Tessa Reid said: “Wow that’s really impressive. Out of all the places to study in the world who would have thought that a little University on a hill could rank so highly.”