If you wanted a job after uni, you should have gone to Loughborough

Sorry

Today, figures from High Fliers Limited ranked Exeter 18th on the (pithily named) list of Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2014-2015.

Though this top-twenty spot will undoubtedly be a statistic which both ends up in the prospectus next year and will be quoted by parents at dinner parties when boasting about how amazing their child’s university is, this figure may not be as reassuring as it first seems.

This pretty campus won’t necessarily get you hired.

Manchester managed to soar to the top of the list, despite the fact they came in 21 places lower than us in The Good University Guide this year. And if recruiters are as keen to hire northerners as this suggests, then 98% of us here are screwed.

Employers also seem to be keen to get the more over-enthusiastic students onto their payroll, with Loughborough managing to score 15th spot on the list, even with their monstrosity of an SU video still in the hearts and minds of many.

Yep, he’ll get employed before you do

However, we can all take comfort in the fact that the top 3 places were held by Manchester, Nottingham and Warwick, which just goes to show you didn’t need that place at Oxbridge you got rejected from anyway.

For some who are graduating this year, the fact that we aren’t higher on the list makes trying to find a job after uni an even more terrifying practice.

They get cheaper booze AND a wage at the end of their degree.

Zoe, a fourth-year Philosophy student who will be graduating this year, said:

“I am disappointed by these results. The fact that we are such a good scoring uni in important league tables seems pointless if none of us can get a job afterwards.

It makes thinking about leaving and finding work next year just that little bit more scary.”

Employers love Oxford grads more than us. It’s official.

However, Rob, a third year Classicist who is also leaving this year, said:

“I think Sheffield, Bath and Loughborough are universities that are heavy in practical subjects – engineering and the like. So if the statistics are skewed by sciences vs. humanities, then everything’s cool.

“Bit more depressing if we’re talking humanities students, though.

“We’re supposed to have a better reputation for that.”