First year student shortlisted for national writing award

Beth Reeks has her work published and nominated for a writing award

Beth Reekles Beth Reeks the tab the tab exeter

First year Physics student Beth Reeks’ recent publication of her work has led her from success to success.

After being ranked on the list of the world’s most influential teenagers, she has now been shortlisted for the Romantic Novelists Association Awards.

Beth Reeks

The Tab grabbed an interview with Beth to discuss her massive achievement.

Adam Turbull (AT): How has life changed for you since your work has been published?

Beth Reeks (BR): It’s been quite a whirlwind. Having my book published in print rather than just online means that I’ve had to do all sorts of newspaper, TV, radio and blog interviews – which is all very exciting!

It also means I have to juggle a lot more work with interviews and keeping up my social media as well as being a regular University student!

AT: When you started writing? Did you expect it to be so successful?

BR: I’d been writing novel-length stories for quite a while before I started posting online.

A friend introduced me to a writing platform website called Wattpad, and I was a reader on there for a few months before thinking, ‘If all these other teenagers can put their work online, why shouldn’t I?’

I didn’t have anything to lose, so I started uploading The Kissing Booth, but never imagined it would be so popular online – let alone getting published!

Describing herself as a Dr. Who fan, Beth’s Wattpad profile

AT: Do you have any future plans for writing?

BR: I don’t think I’ll ever give up writing. It’s something I’ve loved doing for so long now.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll continue to publish more books in the future – hopefully doing so alongside a physics-related career.

AT: Do you have any writers you aspire to be like?

BR: I’ve always admired J.K. Rowling. She’s one of my heroes. She didn’t give up after being rejected by publishers: she persevered, and she’s become massively successful as a result.

AT: How does it feel to see your book in shops alongside huge authors?

BR: I still love walking into Waterstones and searching for my books on the shelves, and I get a thrill of excitement to see them there. It’s an incredible feeling and impossible to compare.

Beth holds two of her published novels

AT: How did you react upon hearing that you were ranked as one of Time’s most influential teenagers in the world?

BR: I remember squealing very loudly and running into the kitchen to tell my flatmates because I was so excited.

After seeing myself on a list alongside people like Malala [Yousafzai] and Lorde it was so humbling, and I was so excited to have been recognised.

AT: Have you had many fans contact you?

BR: I get a lot of messages on various social media every day from fans – either just to tell me they loved my book, or to say that I inspired them to write and do I have any advice for them as writers.

It’s great to be able to interact with my fans and give something back to them after they supported me so much.

Beth’s Twitter account

AT: Have you been recognised on campus since getting your work published?

BR: I don’t tend to get recognised, but a lot of people on my course have found out and asked me about it. Nobody on campus has stopped me and asked for a photo yet!

AT: Do you still feel that Physics is the right degree for you when your writing has been so successful?

BR: I’ve loved studying physics since GCSE, and I definitely don’t regret choosing it for my degree.

I don’t see why I shouldn’t enjoy both writing and physics. I keep them both quite separate, too.

AT: Is it true that a film deal is in discussion for your books?

BR: The films rights have been sold for The Kissing Booth to Random House Children’s Screen Entertainment (RHCSE) and they’ve been working recently with a major screenwriter/producer, so fingers crossed for a movie to be made soon!

‘The Kissing Booth’ has had more than 19 millions views online

Keep an eye out online and in local bookshops for Beth’s work.