Shocking statistics prove obesity is on the rise

Over a third of people in the South West believe healthy food is too pricey

Exeter Obesity South West the tab the tab exeter

Despite the post-Christmas rush of gym-going students to the Sports Park, it seems some of us in the South West would rather stay at home and eat cheap, E-number-filled food.

To raise awareness in support of National Obesity Awareness Week, over 3,100 adults were recently questioned. Results show:

• 10% of people do not have time to prepare healthy food.
  • 40%  have noticed a rise in obesity in their local area.

The results prove obesity is slowly becoming a huge problem in the local area.

Some of us students are definitely guilty of bad-eating, too

Dr. Davina Deniszczyc said,“If you are struggling financially, a fast food offer might seem like the best value option. There is clearly a huge amount of work to be done to persuade people that the cheapest food can actually be the healthiest food.”

Shockingly, in the South West, over half of respondents were measured as overweight, which increases the risks of obesity-related health issues. Of those measured as overweight:

• 25% of these people said this was because of lack of willpower.
  • 13% said they would rather be overweight than have to watch what they eat.

On the topic of exercise, 42% find exercise boring and 10% said they would rather be over weight than exercise.

Nutritional therapist Jackie Donkie says, the rise in obesity could result in “a chronically ill population.”

Fat chance you will see everyone taking the stairs, though

She believes lifestyle changes can also be the key: “Increasing day-to-day activity, walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift and walking instead of taking the car will all contribute to a healthier lifestyle.”

However, healthy eating will always be important, Donkie says: “cutting down on takeaways, or eating food in its natural state, rather than covered in rich sauces, will drastically reduce the amount of fat and sugar we eat.”

Of those questioned 40%, blame themselves. Although it’s your choice as to what you eat, 60% still shockingly shift the blame to the food industry.

As for those who have to climb Cardiac Hill regularly, the workout of all workouts, that’s the lifestyle change covered.