The Tab Meets Luke Friend and Louis Walsh

The Tab talks to X Factor Finalist Luke Friend and X Factor judge Louis Walsh

devon Louis Walsh Luke Friend music the tab the tab exeter tv X Factor

Exeter’s campus was full of energy and screaming fans on Wednesday night – all of whom were eagerly awaiting the arrival of X Factor finalist and local lad Luke Friend.

Prepared for the moment when the car door would open and reveal the Teignmouth-based singer, campus was buzzing with fake flames, red carpet, camera crews and a small army of security guards.

Upon arriving for our interview, Louis Walsh greeted me saying: “Hi Adam from ‘The Lab.’ Referring to the Exeposé members around me, he then asked: “Are you all a team here?”

Luke’s “Friends”

From speaking to Luke, it was clear he knew what he wanted from life: a career in music. During the interview, his wit and down-to-earth personality filled the room, making you completely forget you were talking to an X Factor finalist.

“It’s overwhelming the amount of support I’ve been getting from everywhere,” he said. “I just want to say thank you so much.”

Despite his obvious talent, Luke never believed he would make it this far. “I never thought from week one, that I could get to the final. I think it was just hope and determination.”

The Great Hall transformed

Louis told me that “as soon as [Luke] performed ‘Run’ (Snow Patrol), that was the moment I thought ‘this guy could win’. That was the moment when I saw the fire in his eyes, as Nicole would say.”

Luke agreed with his mentor, saying: “that was when I realised I really wanted this.”

Exeter students will be pleased to know that performing in Devon will always remain a top priority for Luke.

The Lab, Louis and Luke

“The people here are the reason why I’ve been so successful in this competition,” he said. “I will never let them down.

“I will always play around my area. It will probably be the gigs I’m most excited about, as it means I get to play in front of family and friends. It’s a beautiful thing.”

Before performing in front of millions on the X Factor, Luke tells me he “used to gig round the local spots, like Mama Stones. That was a really important place that supported me, as well as places like Cavern.”

Unlike other contestants, X Factor hasn’t restyled Luke in any way. His original style of waist coasts, jackets and flowery shirts have all stayed.

“The thing I like about Luke is that he’s not a karaoke artist, he’s original, different, he stands out and he’s only 17,” Louis said.

“You know why we’re here, we’re looking for your votes. I need you to vote for Luke at the weekend, he deserves to do incredibly well. It’s up to you now.”

Following Luke’s performance, Amber Dawson, a first year English Literature student, said: “He seemed so genuine and likeable. You could tell he really cared about his fans. He was amazing live and I can’t wait to see him in the final.”

First year Geography student Greg Harfleet also said: “Luke’s homecoming was a real eye-opener to how X Factor works. He sounded great live and we had an awesome time. Good luck for the weekend, Luke!”

In the Great Hall, Luke performed Seal’s ‘Kiss from a Rose’, Snow Patrol’s ‘Run’, U2’s ‘Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For’ and Bon Iver’s hugely popular ‘Skinny Love’.

Performing at The Great Hall

In the final, Luke will perform Fun’s ‘We Are Young’, One Direction’s ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ Ellie Golding’s ‘Anything Can Happen’ with Ellie, admitting “I love her to bits.” (You’re not alone there, Luke!)

With this weekend being the most important of Luke’s life so far, your votes could not mean more to him. Taking five minutes to vote may well transform a Devonshire lad’s life forever.