Stop Stressing, Learn to Live Like a Stoic

Exeter University’s Classics Department give people the chance to live like a Stoic for the week.

| UPDATED the tab the tab exeter

It’s time to take a break from deadlines and get in touch with your inner ancient philosopher.

University of Exeter philosophers and psychotherapists will be researching whether Stoic philosophy can help us lead happier lives.

As part of ‘Stoic Week’ between 25th November and 2nd December, participants will complete exercises, reflections, and meditations each day, based on ancient Stoicism.

They will complete well-being questionnaires before and after the week and the data from these will be used to see if Stoic ideas can be put into practice today.

Stoicism is an ancient Greek philosophy that insists human beings can pursue happiness using their own core human values, rather than pursuing material goods and social success – could you live without your Iphone or aspiring to be a BNOC?

The Stoicism Today project stemmed from a 2012 workshop at the University of Exeter by Professor Christopher Gill and PhD student Patrick Ussher from the Department of Classics.

Professor Gill, leader of the project, said, “This is an exciting collaboration between academics and psychotherapists, and breaks new ground in public debate about putting Stoicism into practice.”

More information and audio recordings for the week can be found here.