Hockey Derby Day in Devon

Jack Banister gives you the low-down on all the weekend’s hockey-related action.

EUMHC Hockey ISCA sport the tab the tab exeter University of Exeter

Exeter-based National League hockey sides will do battle at the coliseum that is the Nando’s Sports Park for the first time ever on Saturday.

The amalgamated Isca/university girls side will take on Exe HC to kick the day off at 12.30pm, whilst at 6pm the EUMHC will battle Isca’s stand-alone Men’s side under lights.

The Nando’s Sports Park: Exeter’s Theatre of Dreams.

Both games will be loaded with tekkers – for the Isca Uni girls, captain and ex-student Claire Thomas has bagged eight goals in six games, and Freshling Kathryn ‘Laney’ Lane has made an instant impression in the centre of defence alongside third year Annabel Driver.

JJ Blackstock has been tearing the midfield to shreds, and the side is arguably the most entertaining in their league – only leaders Buckingham have scored more times this season.

Players with BBC Spotlight ahead of the men’s game.

Unlike the women’s game, the men’s fixture will see the university compete against Isca, rather than alongside them.

The Isca Men’s side, led by Simon Tremlett, boasts junior internationals Tom Poustie, Max Ansell, Harry Skinner and Will Marsh, and goal machine Jon Wright, who has bagged four goals already this year to go with his 23 from last season.

One of the better offerings from the fake Matt Richards Twitter Profile.

For the EUMHC, who are led by Ben Upton, ex-student and South African Olympian Ian Haley will again be gunning for some goals in the front line.

Midfielder, Fresher and Tekkerslovakian Matt Richards will be on show, and he’s become so big on campus someone is pretending to be him on Twitter.

It does, however, remain unclear if his V-drag can match that of third  year Nick Cooper, who has been terrorising goalkeepers all over the country with eight goals in just six games.

Laney sends an opponent cowering to the turf whilst in action for former club Beeston.

In terms of size and importance, the day rivals the EUMHC’s 16th November Hockey Varsity against the University of Birmingham.

There will be music, booze, food and internationals players on show, so get down to the Sports Park and enjoy some great hockey. You won’t regret it, I promise.

Nick Cooper in a moment of reflection – probably after a top-notch finish.