The Tab Reviews… Ruby

The jewel in the crown of Queen Street: Charlotte Haynes and Imogen Groome visit Ruby Modern Diner.

Opening at the start of the year, Ruby Burgers is a locally sourced modern diner complete with malt shakes and delicious burgers. We could hardly refuse when they invited The Tab down to taste their American twist on Devon’s cuisine and we weren’t disappointed.

Despite the exterior looking slightly like a bank and causing us to wander around like lost puppies for a while, we make our way into Ruby and are seated in one of their big red booths by a lovely waitress and are served some bubbly (a nice touch). Ruby boasts an upstairs and downstairs open plan diner while also hosting a choice of self service areas complete with service bell for a real authentic experience.

Bar or bank?

If there’s one thing Ruby can be praised on it’s that everything on their menu sounds delicious, from their renowned burgers to slow cooked meats. After serious deliberation (sending the waitress away twice as we still couldn’t decide!) we skipped starters and dug into the mains. We ordered a £8 Panko Burger with sides of Proper Chips and Red Onion Rings at £3 each and a Great Salad at £6.00 with a side of £3.50 Maccaruby Cheese.

Swamped with sides!

(In my defence, I wanted the salad so I could justify the dessert, and it was lovely, an unusual yet delicious mix of beans, veg and lettuce, topped with mouthwatering bacon – Imogen)

After making a good attempt on the mountain we’d ordered, (which arrived very quickly) we soon realised the burgers are more filling than they look and are great value for money if you’re looking for somewhere to celebrate the end of exams… Sharing sides would definitely be a good shout. (I ordered two and felt pretty swamped! – Charlotte)

An extra helping of cheese was served when it came to choosing desserts; Charlotte opted for a chocolate brownie sundae, while Imogen chose the “To Die For” hard shake (chocolate ice cream, liquid chocolate, malt & Old J spiced rum), loudly announcing that it really was…to die for… (the bubbly had probably kicked in by this point).

To Die For

All in all, our Ruby experience was excellent: friendly waitresses, quick service and a delicious menu. The highlight of the night, however, was the dessert – what student won’t love the opportunity to mix chocolate and alcohol…..