Tremough Transfer Tirade

Sparks fly after a decision to transfer staff at Falmouth University to an external company, potentially giving them £5k less pay

falmouth pay staff tremough

Falmouth is the first UK university to transfer its entire Student Support service to a private company, and the move had provoked protest among staff and students on the Tremough Campus.

The University decided to transfer the contracts of 130 members of Academic and Support staff to FX Plus, a company owned by Falmouth and Exeter University.

The employees work in a range of student support roles, such as disability support, academic skills assistants and IT services. As FX Plus doesn’t have to operate within national pay scale standards, they will no longer be entitled to pay in line with national standards.

Times Higher Education was told by one member of staff that a librarian recruited to FX Plus could potentially earn up to £5k less than staff coming from Falmouth.

According to the protest website, http://falmouthexeterprotest.wordpress.com/ “there has been no clear argument or evidence presented to us that demonstrate how [the outsourcing] will improve services. We know that no alternative models have been looked at and staff have not been consulted on the decision making process.”