Get your Vote love, you’ve pulled

VoteFest: offering you free entry to the Lemmy and no excuse not to find out more about the elections

candidates guild elections Vote votefest voting

Exeter Guild’s elections campaign week tends to be gimmicky, boring and frankly a bit annoying, considering you have to traipse through the mud just to avoid campaigners once you’ve heard their spiel.

But rather than just raging about it, two third year students, Georgie Treacy and Amelia Ebdon are trying to reboot the brand. They’ve set up VoteFest, an initiative to help you get to know the election candidates, rather than just be heckled by them and their teams.

The Fest will be held over two days at the Forum and the Lemmy, combining the elections, music and general merriment.

Georgie and Amelia infront of their VoteFest banner

The first night is Friday 1 February (which is the day voting opens) with four student acoustic acts serenading your vote-making between 7.30pm and 9pm.

This is followed on the 5 February at the Lemmy which will see five live bands until 11pm, followed by a DJ set ‘til 1am. Both are free and there is no pressure to vote then and there. If you do, however, you get a useful wristband to wave in the faces of election mobs to show your vote has been cast.

All the candidates are attending both nights, so there’s no need to worry if you can’t make the Forum on Friday and the Lemmy on Tuesday. The Tab knows you would worry.

Although VoteFest hasn’t gathered much of a profile considering it has less than 100 likes on Facebook and some slightly dodgy memes, it’s sure to become a much needed focal point of the elections with interviews with the candidates (although they won’t be as good as the Tab interviews) and updates from election week.

The girls told The Tab: “Elections can be quite lame. VoteFest offers a decent night out and a way to get involved. You can talk to the candidates if you want to, if you just want to listen to the music you can just do that. We just wanted to do something a bit different.”

The Tab says: Here here! We support free entry to the Lemmy and any attempt to stop campaigners waving cheap sweets in our faces.