Wet, wet, wet

Someone call Noah, because Exeter’s got itself into a helluva flood.

Flood Floods Tree Wall Weather

Exeter has been hit by some of the worst flooding in recent years.

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service has dealt with more than 500 incidents in the last 24 hours, mostly between 8pm and 2am last night (Saturday evening).

At 11.50pm, a 21 year old woman was crushed under a tree and became the second person to die in this period of extreme weather on Saturday.

The tree trapped the woman and injured two other men inside the tent they were sheltering in on Western Way. A police spokesman said: “This is a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the deceased’s family and friends.  We are currently trying to contact the next of kin.”

Nice weather for Duckes… Pic: Joe Catcheside

Just two days before, a 20 foot wall has collapsed under the strength of the storm, near St. Davids.

The Forum has also been unable to hold out against the storm as it sprung huge leaks in the auditoriums and in the library.

Students who went home for the weekend have faced long delays, cancellations and bus replacement services as National Rail tries to grapple with the poor weather conditions.

The BBC Weather Centre has projected that 60mm of rainfall has fallen over the past 24hrs in South West England.

There have been 57 flood warnings in the South West.

Thankfully, reports indicate that the weather should be improving over the course of the week.