Exeter’s biggest department store opens today!

People queued in the rain for a piece of the action

john lewis shopping

Exeter’s John Lewis officially opened its doors to the public today.

Orderly queues of customers formed outside the brand new shop this morning, as people waited to view the most recent and much anticipated addition to the high street for the first time.

Excited crowds outside the store

As shoppers streamed in to Exeter’s biggest department store when it opened at 9am, they were greeted by smiling staff who welcomed them.

Rose Jones, a Commercial Support Manager for the new store, said: ‘It’s the most amazing day for Exeter and all our partners. We’ve been waited for by customers for a long time, and our partners have waited a long time. It’s been a very long journey since we began our business relationship with the council.’

Perfect is you like your pastels

Plans for the Exeter branch of John Lewis began over four years ago.

The new building has 6 floors and a roof terrace café with views across Exeter. The outlook, pictured here, is less than panoramic – however, it is possible to see a view of the high street, and the top of Exeter cathedral.

Looking out over the towers of Exeter

Although contractors were still finishing sections of the paving outside the department store, on the inside it seemed completely ready and prepared for its launch. By 9.02, customers had already begun purchasing some of the items that were on offer.

From Littala glassware, to True Grace candles, to Ted Baker clothing, most of the items on sale were luxury products.

Zoe Jenkins, an undergraduate student at the university, said: ‘It’s possibly a bit at the top end of my price range, but I might splash out on a few little things for the house.’

With John Lewis profits rising to £70m last week, the new store is set to be a success.

The new store is at the top of the High Street