Nine things to do in Edinburgh to cure your post-reading week blues

When you realise ‘Flexible Learning Week’ should have involved some learning

Despite the expectation of feeling refreshed from a week off from classes, the start of Week Six realistically comes with looming deadlines and the realisation that “Flexible Learning Week” involved absolutely no learning.

We’re all susceptible to the post-reading week blues, regardless of whether we relaxed by hopping on a plane or opted for a chilled week at home. Alternatively, you may feel like you’re just about the only person in Edinburgh who didn’t make the most of Skyscanner and a student-loan friendly (or not so friendly…) Airbnb last week and still would like to feel a little cultured, or worse-still spent the week isolating.

However you spent reading week, we’ve got plenty of suggestions on how to make Week Six and the return to learning a little less stressful.

1. Retail therapy at one of Edi’s Farmers’ Markets

With Farmers’ Markets at the Castle, Grassmarket, Stockbridge and Leith every weekend, you’re certain to pick up the perfect treat to help relieve some back-to-uni stress, all whilst enjoying a wholesome day out and supporting locally owned businesses.

2. Take a trip to Edinburgh’s art galleries

Edinburgh has plenty of amazing galleries on offer, including the Scottish National Gallery, Scottish National Portrait Gallery and City Art Centre.

Even if you don’t think art is your thing, you may be pleasantly surprised and a visit to Edinburgh’s galleries is the perfect way to show your family your Edinburgh ventures consist of more than The Meadows and Cowgate.

Even if you are just visiting the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art for the views outside and an Instagram pic – it’s definitely well worth it.

3. Let off some steam at your choice of Edinburgh club

If you’ve spent the week apart from your flatmates, we are well aware that can feel like a lifetime.

Whilst which club is Edinburgh’s best is a fiercely debated topic, there’s less argument that a night out is the perfect way to celebrate being reunited with your friends all whilst curing some of those post-reading week blues.

4. Unwind with a beach day

Whilst it may not be as sunny as pictured, a visit to North Berwick will not disappoint

Whilst Edinburgh can’t always promise you sun, there’s still plenty of sea and sand on offer, making Portobello perfect for beach walks and barbeques.

If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, or in need of more of an escape from the city, this may be the perfect chance to explore the beaches at Cramond Island, North Berwick or even St Andrews – especially now bus travel is free for under 22s in Scotland.

5. Explore Edinburgh’s seven hills

We aren’t saying running up Arthur’s Seat ought to become a weekly habit, but Edi has plenty of nature and incredible views anyone would regret not making the most of.

Whether it’s a sunset trip up Calton Hill or your first time heading up Craiglockhart, a trip up any of Edinburgh’s hills makes for the perfect study break.

If you’re feeling brave, making it up all of Edinburgh’s seven hills in one day is a challenge accompanied by some incredible views of the city.

6. Treat your taste buds at Edi’s restaurants and cafes

Brunch at The Pantry in Stockbridge

If your usual diet consists of meal deals and pesto pasta, you may find it hard to believe Edinburgh has an incredible food scene.

Perhaps a brunch trip to Stockbridge, Bruntsfield or Morningside, or dinner at The Pitt Market or Bonnie & Wild will top JMCC hash browns.

7. Treat yourself to a (somewhat) sophisticated cocktail night

Not every successful night out in Edinburgh is marked by a feature on Clubbers of the Week, crippling hangxiety and an overdraft attributable solely to VKs and tequila shots.

If the opening at the Alchemist at St James’ Quarter doesn’t tempt you, perhaps a cocktail-making or wine and cheese night with your flatmates may be the perfect, and slightly more sophisticated than usual, way to unwind.

8. Pay a visit to one of Edi’s many museums

Whether you’re experiencing withdrawal symptoms from a week of travelling, or regretting spending the past week glued to Love Is Blind and Euphoria, either way you may be in need of a culture fix.

There’s a museum for everyone in Edinburgh, and with Dolly the Sheep so close to George Square at the National Museum of Scotland, this may be the only opportunity to show off your GCSE Biology knowledge.

Plus, museums are an educational (and therefore a productive) use of time, right?

9. Finish off those mid-terms

However, the chances are, the main reason you’ll be turning to the eight recommendations above is to procrastinate those looming mid-terms.

Whilst we can’t recommend spending 24 hours at the library, unfortunately we both know that you’ll eventually have to make a start on that pile of work to make the most of everything else Edinburgh has to offer.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

From drunk cigs to prosecco pres: The 13 signs you’re not a yah but you’re yah-adjacent

• Here are 30 Edi student ‘Never Have I Evers’ that you’ve definitely done

• Edinburgh Hive vs Glasgow Hive: A scientific study into which is better?