Edinburgh Hive vs Glasgow Hive: A scientific study into which is better?

From a Glasgow Uni alumni now doing her masters at Heriot Watt

I did my undergrad at Glasgow University where I spent many great nights in the Glasgow Uni Hive. Having now started a masters at Heriot-Watt, my first thought when I moved to Edinburgh was: “There’s a Hive in Edinburgh? I wonder what it’s like”.

Last Friday, my fellow Edinburgh Tab writers took me to the Edi Hive for the first time, and it was certainly an experience.

To those that haven’t been to Glasgow University’s Hive, let me describe it to you: the Glasgow Hive is filled with ONLY Glasgow University students (make of that what you will). You go and you always bump into people you know, like the person you sat next to in a tutorial during Freshers’. Glasgow Uni students tend to love it. It’s our union. It’s massive and the DJ (DeeJay Toast) is a legend. Think Edi’s Big Cheese but filled with West End GU wankers.

Glasgow Uni Hive

The beginning

After pres in a Marchmont flat (classic), we all trekked across The Meadows to Hive. The line to get into the club was much smaller than the Glasgow Hive, which was good as I hadn’t exactly dressed to stand in a queue for a long time. The entry was about £2, much cheaper than Hive in Glasgow, and cloakroom was £1 per item. It’s also free if you go Sunday – Thursday. So far so good.

Round one: The dance-floors

One similarity is the different rooms, playing different music types (I was too drunk to go into the indie room in Edinburgh Hive though oops).

However, one difference between them is the size of their dance-floors. Glasgow Hive is absolutely massive whereas Edinburgh Hive is much smaller and has an even smaller dance-floors. It was a busy Friday night and it was understandably packed which meant (quite literally) rubbing shoulders with lots of other clubbers whilst having a boogie.

However, when you’re drunk and dancing with your friends you quickly forget about this. You’re at a club that’s literally built into the South Bridge vaults, it’s not going to be the largest.

Round two: tunes? Something else?

One thing that ripples througout both HIVE’s is the similarity in tunes! Classics such as ABBA and also some latest hits like that one from Tik Tok that goes “A, B, C, D, E, F, U…”.

There really is nothing better than shouting “F U” at the top of your lungs on the dance-floor after a day of procrastinating uni work in the library.

Round three: cost

I think I overall spent between £12-15 including entry and cloakroom in the Edinburgh Hive. Not bad I would say, especially compared to Glasgow Hive’s expensive entry fee, cloakroom and drinks prices.

For three quid I could get a Bucky Bomb (I’m assuming Buckfast and Red Bull – was not a fan) as well as a spirit and a mixer. VK’s were also a pound which I embarrasingly stuck to after the controversial Bucky Bomb. I honestly couldn’t tell you other drink prices because I got too drunk to order anymore. Edinburgh Hive definitely takes the crown for a night out that won’t break the bank.

Can you tell we had cherry VKs?

General opinions

I chatted to a few people throughout the night at the Edi Hive. One guy was in cause they had a stag do the previous night and they thought: “Why not go again?”.

Others were there because it was the only place to go to if other clubs were full. I’ve also heard very mixed reviews about Edinburgh Hive, some people love it, others hate it – most love to hate it but will still be found having a boogie there every once in a while.

Meanwhile, the majority of students at Glasgow love Hive and religiously go every week until they graduate. There are the odd few that don’t like Glasgow Hive, but it is nothing in comparison to the Marmite opinions that Edinburgh Hive produces.

In conclusion

Edinburgh Hive itself might not be my go-to and yes, in my sober state as I write this article I’m not convinced I’d choose to go back. (Although, one of my editors insisted that you never really choose to go Hive – you mysteriously end up there most of the time and it’s these nights that are supposed to be the best at Hive.) I’d say I’m glad I went and it really does teach you that it’s not where you are that matters, it’s who you’re with.

Overall, I’d have to say I prefer Glasgow Hive. I’m ultimately still a slight Glasgow Uni wanker at heart, which is why I’m more partial and biased to the Glasgow Hive. It’s nothing personal to Edinburgh Hive, I just couldn’t betray the ol’ faithful.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

The rise of the Bongo Club, and the Pollock Freshers behind it

Unpopular opinion: Clubbing is overrated and I’m kinda done with it

Quiz: Plan a night out and we’ll tell you which Edinburgh club you should go to