Team of the Week: Badminton

Meet the shuttlecock smashers

On a daily basis the Badminton Club can be found at St. Leonard’s Land sports centre where players challenge team mates and hone their technique.  Consisting of around 16 teams, the club is large and contains a variety of players- with a range spanning from leisure seekers to national BUCS big guns there is something for everyone.

Just look at them go

In terms of the aims for the season, club president Jonathon Fyfe hopes for “all BUCS teams to finish in the top three division” with expectations for some to gain a promotion.  Big dreams indeed, but not surprising given the team’s training schedule.

A shock for those with any preconceptions of badminton players, the club holds weekly weights and circuits sessions as well as daily training, proving that ‘hench’ is now a word to be associated with badminton.

Action shot

As confirmation that it’s not all work and no play, the Badminton Club enjoy a buzzing social scene too.

With two social secs, the club enjoys a massive themed social once a month, weekly socials at Boteco on a Wednesday after training and a newly formed “badminton family” scheme. You can get married, have kids and potentially have grandchildren all in the space of 4 years- brilliant.

If that wasn’t enough, the club holds social tournaments with Newcastle uni with each alternating as hosts. For fresher Rachel Fu, this is one of the highlights of the club. Playing for the 3rd team, she finds “the people really nice” and the club set-up good for casual play.

Rachel and her team (2nd from left)

So, if getting fit, socialising and living it up with our Geordie brethren sounds like your kind of thing it looks as if badminton is the sport for you.