Edinburgh is the 22nd best uni in the country

Beat Glasgow though

Edinburgh has one once again held onto it’s impressive position as one of the 25 best unis in the UK.

The Sunday Times Good University guide for 2016 was released this weekend, revealing that Edinburgh is only the 22nd best uni in the UK.

Edinburgh held onto the same spot as last year,  and although 82.4% of Edinburgh students described their time at uni as a “positive experience”, we only came 43rd out of the guide’s 50 top unis in the UK for “student experience”.

However, this lingering depression doesn’t keep us from completing our studies. Over 90% of Edinburgh students finish their studies.

Staying level

If it weren’t for high scores in other areas such as average UCAS entry points and graduation prospects we might have scored much lower in the guide’s ranking. While we finished 43rd out of the 50 top unis for student satisfaction, we actually came 115th out of 127 overall.

But it’s not all glum news as 78.6% of Edinburgh students surveyed had one or more employment prospects for after graduation.

We really do love our teaching… not

It would appear that the Uni’s implementation of new programs such as the Personal Tutors, are an attempt to boost our spirits and our rankings, but if the Times report is any indicator, it isn’t working yet.

As to be expected Cambridge came up top with Oxford second and Imperial third. This year’s big climbers were Surrey who jumped from 11th into the top 10 at number 8 and Sussex who went from 25th to 19th.

LSE fell 4 places to 5th and Leicester fell 8 places down to the 28th.

Despite their dismal club scene and painful lack of proximity to anything of note, 4th ranked St. Andrews scored 86.8% in student satisfaction, coming in second to Scotland’s happiest school – Glasgow University.

We’ll get there one day Edinburgh.