Racism row: So who’s the real culprit?

So there was an unintentionally open Facebook page, a shared photograph, multiple likes, the despicable tag “Aids,” shame brought to the black students in the photograph, outcry from other University […]

So there was an unintentionally open Facebook page, a shared photograph, multiple likes, the despicable tag “Aids,” shame brought to the black students in the photograph, outcry from other University students, all stunned, and shocked by one of the most controversial “tags” that can be given to an individual: a racist.

But who’s racist? Roman Beckett, who says his Facebook account was left open by accident, has been accused and has received threats. But there is no proof he did anything wrong.

Thungo Kuwani, a student in the photograph, wants the culprit to be ‘jailed, sacked, suspended’ or whatever else it takes for such an incident to hopefully never take place again.

James McAsh, EUSA President, has expressed his disapproval and encourages such acts to be reported to The Advice Place.

That’s all well done and said, and now days have passed, and still the cloud of doubt looms over this online attack, or as The Afro-Carribbean society has written “hate crime” leaving the unanswered question: who’s the culprit?

What is exasperating is not the fact that the ‘culprit’ hasn’t been found, though this is obviously necessary for closure on the incident, but it’s also surprising how little EUSA has done to help the issue.

Surely this isn’t good for the University’s image, but the students affected subscribe to this University on merit and should feel respected and protected by their University.

The University of Edinburgh is a world-class, global, higher education institution. Failing to take effective action towards such behaviour within the University makes that description questionable. Justice denied is in itself prejudice.