A sixth former turned her Oxford rejection letter into art

‘Sorry not to have better news’

After being rejected from Wadham College, Oxford, an A-level student decided to turn her disappointment into artwork.

18-year-old Claudia Vulliamy, who has been offered a place at Durham to study Classics, was praised for her creativity after her mum’s tweet, featuring a picture of the painting, went viral.

The rejection letter, post transformation

Claudia told The Tab: “The letter is pretty much summarised in the phrases stuck into the painting: delivering the news, apologising, wishing me well.

“It always feels a bit hurtful to be rejected, but I know how high the competition is – I’m mostly just delighted to have an offer from Durham and other universities.

The 18-year-old, who is studying Art, Latin and Philosophy for her A-levels, said: “I’ve always loved doing art, but I’ve got really into portrait painting in the last few years. I don’t normally do abstract pieces, but this time I felt inspired.

A lot of people are saying Oxford should now take me on an art course but that’s not really how it works, but I appreciate the sentiment! Honestly, I think Durham is the place I really love, so if I achieve the grades I will go there.

She created the painting very quickly, explaining, “I suppose some of my feelings about the letter went into the artwork. Obviously I didn’t know it would go viral as I painted it for myself – but I think the message that it’s associated with now is that Oxbridge doesn’t determine your worth as a person, and I love that.”

You can see more of Claudia’s art on her instagram at flamboyant_aesthete.

The Tab Durham

last seen today at 10:34

Get breaking Durham news straight to your WhatsApp

Find out which sports team’s getting banned next, who’s looking fire at the fashion show, and some gentle Hatfield rinsing. Straight into your DMs. 😘