Durham students react to Trump’s election

Could it be worse than Brexit?

Donald Trump has won the US Presidential Election after one of the most absurd races in history. Durham students could hardly be more devastated – but does this cloud have a silver lining? Right now, it’s hard to tell.

Karolina Wroblewska, 19, Cuth’s, Biological Sciences

img_5244

“Today is my birthday and it’ll be a memorable one. At least Britain isn’t the world’s laughing stock any more!”

Oliver Holdsworth-Miller, 18, Cuth’s, Economics

img_5266

“I’d rather have my goldfish as president.”

Ben Norris, 18, Hatfield, Physics

img_5248

“My friend was adamant that Trump was gonna win so he put £2,000 on it when the odds were 5:1. He’s just won £10,000. Obviously I’m devastated, but at the same, I’ll be getting free drinks for about a year.”

Celina Gibson, 18, Cuth’s, Biology

img_5241

“I’m not happy at all. It’s Brexit vibes. It’s worse than Brexit. 2016 is so rogue.”

Louis Treneman, 18, Cuth’s, Economics

img_5265

“I guess America Trumped Brexit. The best thing about him winning is the dank memes.”

Tom Hetherington, 21, Grey, History

img_5240

“Everything you hear is on social media, so you don’t hear a great deal about actual policy. I don’t wanna be too quick to judge.”

Grace and Zakah, 20, Hatfield, Law

img_5246

Zakah: “Yesterday, I thought it would be funny. This morning all I wanted was to go back to sleep and not wake up for a while.”

Grace: “We should all just go and live on Mars.”

Martha Kent, 18, Cuth’s, Languages

img_5243

“How can I do it without swearing? My reaction is: fuck, basically.”

Alex Ahlgren, 19, Hatfield, Criminology

img_5238

“I’m American and I can’t even talk about it, it’s so disappointing.”

Rob Knowles, 18, Cuth’s, Physics

img_5258

“After the announcement I thought it couldn’t get any worse, but then it didn’t even snow properly.”

Thomas McEvoy, 19, Cuth’s, Economics

img_5260

“Did you know that 11,000 people voted for Harambe?”