Baking mad: DULOG take Bake Off show to the Fringe

Because Bake Off isn’t elitist

A troupe of Durham thespians are hosting a Great British Bake Off inspired play at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

The musical, The Bakewell Bake-Off, focuses on the unusual competitors in a baking competition in the village of Bakewell.

Competitors range from a postman to a German transsexual, and the show promises of an interactive experience, even forcing one member of the audience on stage to taste the cakes at the end.

The PG rated play was given three stars by The Telegraph and was described as a panto, “genuinely charming” as well as “crude”.

The hardworking DULOG team

Durham third year, Henry John, who produced the show said: “We pick each show we do as a committee trying to balance getting as many people involved as possible, what would be fun, what we can afford and what would sell well.

“Bakewell was an obvious one to match all of this. It is a fantastic show and one that would be brand new at Edinburgh. Plus, everyone loves baking at the moment so we knew it would attract audiences.”

The University’s opera group is often seen as elitist in Durham, but have taken a show to the Fringe every year since 2011. The Castle College boy boasted their good reputation made it easier for their show to be accepted.

Tab legend, Alex Prescott, directed the GBBO knock-off and was also in previous shows like How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying last year.

Worried about the costs of the show, Alex said: “It’s incredible, I mean you spend money quicker than Greece, but there is such a variety of stuff to see it’s hard not to.

“I’m sure the Greek government would agree.”

This is his first time directing a musical, which he described as “very different due to working with a larger production team, but all the more rewarding for it.”

Alex was decidedly quiet when asked about after-show antics. He said: “I wish I could tell you, but a strict code of ‘what happens in Edinburgh stays in Edinburgh’ is heavily enforced. Sorry.”

Henry added: “To rehearse we do an intense period of time in the few weeks before the Fringe. It’s like a high pressure drama camp for two weeks in Durham, with no other students there apart from us.

“What has made it a little harder is that I have been working in London so having to do a lot of my work by phone and email, commuting up every weekend and getting the sleeper train back on Sunday night!”

“The show is looking great and ticket sales are going well so far so tomorrow night should be (fingers crossed) awesome.I’m feeling quietly confident at the moment.”

The Bakewell Bake-Off is at the Fringe from 5th to 22nd August and tickets are available online.

Here’s the full cast list:

Ellie Bowness (Victoria Sponge), Ros Bell (Susie Sunflower), Sophie Forster (Griselda Pratt-Dewhurst), George Rexstrew (Hugh Dripp), Imogen Coutts (Sister Mary), Lara Dolden (Flora Drizzle), Ellie Jones (Holly Berry), Charlie Keable (Freddie Twist), Sophie McQuillan (Tina Tartin), Joe McWillian (Henrietta Apfelstrudel), Sarah Slimani (Dr. Pradeapta Smith), Tom Mack (Herbie Barton-Barg).

Production:

Alex Prescot (Director), Henry Winlow (Producer), Elissa Churchill (Production Assistant), John Rendel (Musical Director), Becca Rickwood (Ast. Musical Director), Ellis-anne Dunmall (Choreographer), Elena Mychaleckyj (Tech Director), James Humphries (Tech Assistant)