Row over Trevs toilets continues

The most interesting thing to happen to Trevs, ever

Trevelyvan College are currently embroiled in a dispute over gender-neutral toilets, after a small group of students demanded the change.

The group of five, spearheaded by Sulia Celebi, have called for installations toilets that don’t denote gender identity in a bid to create a more inclusive environment.

The group claim toilets in Trevs are non-inclusive

The plan has now been clarified, and now specifically wishes gender-neutral toilet facilities in addition to gendered toilets.

Sulia said: “People seem to have this very black and white view of gender, when in reality it’s a much broader spectrum than that.

“That’s why this is an educative process, as well as practical one.”

However college officials have raised issues with the cost and practicality of constructing an entire new bathroom area in Trevs, despite the dining halls being refurbished this year.

Prominent feminist and fellow Trevelyanite Rachel Piper raised qualms with the campaign.

She said: “Overall I endorse the introduction of non-gendered toilets, so long as women have the option of the relatively safe space that a gender separated bathroom can provide.”

A safe environment for women under threat?

Another second year at Trevs attempted to explain many people’s concern about the campaign, writing: “We’re a pretty open-minded college who want to make sure everyone’s comfortable.

“Logistically, however, installing another toilet is expensive, and perhaps not the highest financial priority for the college, especially since the vast majority of the toilets are unisex already.”

The campaign continues.