Are you Sirius? Durham holds Harry Potter Sorting Ceremony

Not Slytherin…anything but Slytherin

Potterholic students have been sorted into Hogwarts houses at Durham’s official “sorting ceremony”.

The Harry Potter module – taught by the Education department – sees students sorted into Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw by pulling their choice from a hat.

And in a rare video of the ceremony, you can watch the moment unfortunate student is handed Slytherin.

Held in the Great Hall at Castle, students are asked to wear their gowns for added effect and sit with their houses once sorted.

One dedicated Gryffindor member said “I loved it. People really get into it – it’s like the real thing.”

The view from the Slytherin table.

Some students weren’t so happy, one girl from Mildert said: “I’m paying 9 grand a year for this and I get sorted into fucking Hufflepuff? It’s a joke”.

Dr. Martin Richardson, the module creator, said “you just need to read the academic writing … to see that Harry Potter is worthy of serious study. It has had to meet the same rigorous academic standards as any other.”

The module aims to “place the phenomenon that is Harry Potter in its social, cultural and educational context and understand some of the reasons for its popularity.”

Not every person The Tab spoke to seemed thrilled by the idea of the ceremony, however. Tom, a second year Law student, said “Let’s see if they can magic themselves a job after they graduate.”