Klute goes mute: Power cut leaves hundreds of clubbers in the dark

Durham’s favourite club is plunged into darkness mid-song by power outage. Scroll down for photos

Sunday night clubbers got a shock last night when the power went out at Durham’s most famous club.

In Klute, just after 11 o’clock last night, the power suddenly cut leaving bewildered, drunk students quite literally in the dark.

The outage, which occurred halfway through ‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’ by Guns N’ Roses, also halted the music, leaving only the emergency lights to see by.

One student who witnessed it told The Tab that for at least 10 minutes no one had any idea what was going on. ‘It was crazy,’ she said ‘one minute we were all off our faces dancing and the next we were stumbling around in the dark trying to find our friends.’

‘Who grabbed my arse?’ (photo: Charlie Smith)

Students were eventually asked to leave the club. Charlie, a first year philosophy student from Trev’s, said ‘everyone had sunk a few quaddies when everything went pitch black and a huge boo went up… the bouncers had no clue what was going on, so we chilled on a sofa until they decided to tell us to go outside.’

Tim Moloney, the duty manager at Klute, told The Tab that the circumstances of last night’s power outage were ‘out of [their] hands’ and that ‘National Grid were made aware of this and worked through the night to resolve it.’

He went on to assure us that Klute will be running business as usual for Shake Mondays tonight.

Photojournalism at its best

By way of compensation students were given free entry and queue jump vouchers for use until this Sunday and Klute are hoping to have a special event on the 19th to make up for the incident.

The Tab has managed to get exclusive photos from the event