‘I’d keep an eye on our scrummage’, warns DURFC skipper ahead of Leeds charity match

The Palatinates take on Leeds in this season’s charitable curtain-raiser

The BUCS season starts again this Wednesday, as DURFC take on Leeds’ first team in a curtain-raiser that promises to be charitable, rowdy, and above all, palatinate.

It’ll be particularly interesting to see how the boys in purple get on against a Leeds side who finished bottom of the Northern Premier A, with Durham emphatically beating them 40-21 in December.

“Pre-season has been tough, honestly the toughest we’ve ever had – 3 sessions a day but I think that it’s put us in really good shape,” captain Harry Thompson told us.

“The team buzz is back in DURFC and we’re looking really sharp in training having tweaked our playing philosophy.”

Having lost major players such as full-back Simon Hammersley, who’s now playing for Newcastle Falcons, this will be our first glimpse of fresh talent and experienced players who have been afforded a break into the firsts.

Thompson, however, appears confident of DURFC’s chances this season.

“I’d keep an eye on our scrummage, he said.

“With Dave Spelman, Damon Poole and Adam Brocklebank in the front row it’s going to be a formidable opponent for any university team.

“That said – in open play it’s worth watching the centre partnership of James Middleton and Harry Sanders – they’re looking very dangerous.

“Louis Molloy at full-back also has a savage step which is worth keeping an eye on for any counter attacks.”

Alcohol is, fortunately, permitted in the ground, but the bar will also be open in the clubhouse for those who fancy something on draught.

If you get peckish, there’ll be a burger van outside for you to satiate your hunger for questionable meat.

For big hits, a top early evening pre-Loveshack, and an even better cause, you’d be a fool to miss tomorrow’s match.

Durham City RFC is where you need to be from 6.30pm tomorrow, with tickets selling for £2 in advance or £3 on the door; all proceeds will be going to Sport in Action Zambia, much like the hugely successful Hill vs Bailey and Festival of Sport.