Origins Launches In Durham

Eight clothing lines, seven musical performances, one night. It can only be one thing: Origins.

Hosting a fashion show, musical extravaganza and charity auction all under one roof is no easy task. But Durham’s ACS are up for the challenge.

“Historically, the African Caribbean Society hasn’t been very prominent in Durham,” says president Damilola Onabowale. “But we’re going to change that.”

Things will kick off on Friday with a 6.30pm drinks reception at The Three Tuns Hotel, after which guests will be seated and treated to an evening of ethnic fashion, music and food.

Whatever you do, don’t miss out

With lines by the likes of Sorella, Heritage and Modus Vivendi making their way down the catwalk, the evening promises to be massive.

“We’ve secured a real mix of designers,” says Damilola. “We’ve got people coming from Newcastle, London and even Nigeria to showcase their clothes.”

Durham does a nice line in fashion shows, but this one offers something a little more. Catwalk shows will be interspersed with music from the likes of Durham’s Jazz Band as well as students including Tsamaye Bob-Egbe and Jola Ayeye.

“And the ACS dance group will be performing,” adds Damilola. ‘Nuff said.

Collingwood’s show set the bar pretty high…

The evening’s festivities will be rounded off with an after party at The Slug and Lettuce, hosted by Damilola and ACS vice president Erin Abraham. Guests and performers will dance their way into the early hours of the morning.

“The after party will feature a guest DJ,” explains Damilola. “She’ll be dropping a real mix of tunes – everything from Afrobeats to R’n’B and popular music.

“We hope to make it a fantastic end to what I assure you will have already been a fantastic evening.”

But the evening is about more that just having fun. All proceeds will be divided between Little Saints Orphanage in Nigeria and Newcastle’s Children North East, making a real difference to the lives of underprivileged children.

“For the first time, we’re taking the issue of diversity in Durham to a new level, which is something we’re really proud of,” says Damilola.

For more information, click here, or to buy a ticket for £13, email [email protected]