Trend Report: LFW

ROZ WIKELEY reports back from London Fashion Week on the latest trends

The Tab reports back from London Fashion Week and tells you where to find the latest trends at prices students can afford. 

Lace returns– this time its thicker, heavier and more French – so think again before pulling out the slutty lace leotard with extra large holes in the armpit region from freshers week a few years back ..guilty. Zara clothing looks like the underwear department has been asked to design this season’s dresses and coats- check out the lookbooks online: http://www.zara.com/

Cobalt Blue is back – shown at the Isabel Marant show- you’ll be seeing it in mags till you’re blue in the face.

Baroque/opulence– embellished, metallic regal clothing – jewel on jewel – seen at Mary Katrantzou, Dolce & Gabbana and Peter Pilotto. Far too eccentric for British heritage, more Versailles meets Venetian styles and prints.

Glove love – as seen at Bottega Veneta, Burberry Prorsum and Alexander McQueen. Something applicable to Durham, although maybe not the pale silk ones going up to your elbows…

Leather – Leather is huge. Everything is leather, if it’s not leather, its wool with leather collar or leather sleeves. Seen at YSL and Balenciaga.

Oriental – seen at Zac Posen – silks and prints from Asia and general Kimono territory are very much on trend.

Oversized– seen at Acne and Stella McCartney. Basically upgrade last year’s baggy coat to an xxl- bigger the better!

Waisting away – always fashionable at LFW, focus on the waist, that is, with high waisted trousers, those hourglass tops – props to eccentuate/fake an hourglass figure on the catwalk.

Regardless of how eager you may be to subscribe to this fashion forecast, as students of Durham University, we are faced with 2 problems:

We are students – Mary Katrantzou dresses are generally not bought on the way back from lectures

We go to Durham University– our topshop is catered for a small community in the Shetland Islands and our H&M…wait, we don’t have one, never mind Mary K!

In the name of frugal fashion, The Tab has rooted out some similar styles both online and in local shops for those psyched to blow their student loans on a new winter wardrobe. It’s left to you to wade through the vintage stores, which, if you haven’t already, are some of the best in our country. (click to open link).

Topshop Tweed Boyfriend Coat

Topshop Baroque Print Dress

H&M Style Award Top

H&M Cream Coat – different cut!

ASOS Digital Jacket – personal favourite

Warehouse oversized bomber jacket

Brave? Asos Jumpsuit

Urban Printed Shirt

American Apparel High Waisted Trousers

Hobbs – not so thrifty but a wise decision if you’re a hill college member