Bede Win Controversial Floodlit Final To Secure Double

Hild Bede edge Cuths 21-18 in dramatic late scenes

college cuths durham floodlit cup hild bede rugby university

Hild Bede 21 – Cuths 18

Hild Bede edged Cuths in a dramatic encounter to claim the Floodlit Cup title. The game saw Hild Bede cruise into the final stages before Cuths staged a spirited comeback, with only a controversial decision and a disallowed try preventing them from grabbing the win.

The game was looking in danger of being called off at the start after heavy rain made the ‘all weather’ rubber crumb pitch seem unplayable. After all of the cancelled games last term though, both teams were keen for the game to get the go ahead.

Hild Bede went into the game favourites, having already won this year’s league title, but with Cuths having won the Floodlit Cup three times in four years it was always going to go down to the wire.

The match started with Cuths in the ascendancy, but Hild Bede hit back with a converted try in the early stages after some strong backs play. From this point on Hild Bede took control of the game and added a penalty to put themselves 10-0 up.

However, Cuths managed to get themselves back into the game towards the end of the half, with a try and a penalty of their own reducing the deficit before the half time interval.

This only spurred Hild Bede on though as they came out flying in the second half, applying continual pressure on the Cuth’s back line to grab a try and a couple of penalties to put themselves well in front.

Cuths managed to stay in the game though, scoring two penalties of their own, but the game was looking lost as they entered the last ten minutes 21-11 down.

They were given a lifeline though when Hild Bede were reduced to fourteen men after one of their players was sent to the sin bin.

Cuths started to dominate from this point, and made it count with eight minutes to go when they were awarded a penalty try after some persistent Hild Bede fouling.

This left Cuths just three points short and set up a dramatic finish, as they began to camp inside Hild Bede’s 22 line looking for a last-gasp winning try.

The pressure began to tell on Hild Bede as they were pushed back towards their posts, giving away a penalty right underneath the posts with just four minutes to go.

It was at this point that the controversial decision was made by Cuths to take the scrum, rather than to kick an easy three points that would have leveled the game and sent it into extra-time.

With an injury to their main kicker, Cuths argued they had little choice but to try and make their one-man advantage count by going for the try that would seal the win. Nonetheless, it was a decision that raised eyebrows on the touchline.

This risky decision seemed to have paid off for Cuths, as they worked the scrum to release their winger, who went over in the corner to score what looked to be the winning try.

Although, the celebrations were short lived as the winger’s foot was judged to have hit touch just before he placed the ball down.

It was then left for Hild Bede to see out the dying moments of the game to claim a historic league and cup double for the season.