DURFC 1st XV Hammer Newcastle In Local Derby

Durham 1’s 83 – Newcastle 1’s 15

1's durfc durham rugby

Durham University 83 – Newcastle 15

Durham University scored an impressive 83 points as they ran out clear winners against Newcastle University on a mild Monday night at Durham City.

The side included six changes from the team that defeated Bath the previous Wednesday in the semi-final of the cup.

This will no doubt be key experience for those players as they look to feature prominently on Friday as Durham take on Oxford University at home.

The side will be without no less than 6 regular 1st XV players who will be away with England Students in their upcoming fixture against Emerging Italy.

The side played with intensity throughout and many of the scores were a result of skillful offloading and interplay from within the Durham half.

Impressive second row Matt Steele scored four tries and Shane Gahan celebrated his first start for the 1st XV with 2 tries of his own.

This performance will only add confidence that Durham's 1st XV can claim the BUCS Cup for the second year in a row when they will face UWE (Hartpury) 1's at Twickenham in two weeks time.