Former Durham Captain Given Blues Honour

Rob Malaney to Captain Cambridge

blues Cambridge captain durham rob malaney rugby

Following Durham's recent crushing victory over Cambridge 44-22, one of its former stars has been made captain of the Blues.

Rob Malaney who captained Durham to an undefeated season last year, winning both the BUCS final at Twickenham and Middlesex Sevens has been selected as their captain in a special meeting.

Reports from Cambridge tell that he has continued the great form he showed last year and has been one of their outstanding players.

He has been charged with turning things around after Cambridge were outplayed and outclassed by Oxford in this years Varsity match at Twickenham.

He was selected following a gathering of all the team's players in a meeting hosted by the CURFC Chairman.

Nominations come in the form of fellow players shouting out their choices. Those that have been nominated then leave the room for the rest to discuss their nominations. When the nominees return they are allowed a three minute pitch to persuade the team of their credentials.

Malaney's track record speaks to itself having inspired Durham to both quarter and semi final comebacks in the BUCS Championship last year as well as Durham coming back from 23-12 down at half time to win 25-23 with an injury time penalty. We doubt it was a hard sell!

Malaney has big boots to fill having taken over from 2011 captain and former Canada international Matt Gusiness-King, 2010 captain and Western Province player Jimmy Richards, not to mention 2009 captain and Australian second row Dan Vickerman. Vickerman is one of several high profile players to use their Oxbridge form to retain their international spot back.

We hope Malaney has great success as captain and wish him the best of luck!