PALATINALPS 2012

CHARLIE MITCHELL takes a look back at the highs and lows of this year’s University ski trip to Les Arcs

dj fresh durham les arcs palatinalps red bull ski trip

For those of you who weren’t in Les Arcs for Palatinalps 2012, the hundreds of albums and statuses clogging up your newsfeeds will no doubt have made you aware of what a fu*king great time everyone had. 

This will either have made you sick with jealousy, or just plain sick (some of the gear on display was fairly offensive – see the young gentleman pictured, who got it horribly wrong, sporting a jacket that looked as if a Full Moon party might have thrown up on it).

For those of you who were there, however, the beginning of term will have been a period of recovery and reflection (whilst competing to see who can wear as much Palatinalps stash as is physically possible at any one time).

While your housemates might be getting very bored at the constant stream of ski trip in-jokes, we’re sure you aren’t, so we thought we’d give you one more chance to reminisce on those seven days of non-stop fun and games on, and off, the slopes, as 1,200 Durham students descended on the Alps…

With statistically the most Seasonnaires at any university in the world (who would have thought it?), the quality of skiing was unsurprisingly very high. This talent was showcased at the Big Air, as the many of you who came to watch will know (turning out in spite of the cold and the DJ being a clown).

Les Arc’s nightlife wasn’t quite as extensive as the miles of pistes surrounding it, but there were certainly enough options to keep everyone entertained. Arpettes was the place to go for Après, the closest thing to Folie Douce this side of the Espace Killy (minus the odd chap with the violin), while Red Hot Saloon was frequented at some point on most nights.

Meanwhile, the only club in the resort, Apokalypse, had been dubbed ‘Apokalash’ within a matter of minutes, a low point for the collective wit of Durham University’s student population. And, of course, DJ Fresh’s performance at the final night party gave all those Dub-enthusiasts among us the chance to relive those messy nights in Fabric over the summer.

So while you deal with the depression of returning to Durham for another term of rain and summatives, enjoy a few photos of the week (courtesy of ‘Pretentious iPhone Apps’ Productions) and get planning that Easter break to Verbs