Coventry uni to spend £30 million on a new Arts and Humanities building

Construction is due to begin next year

Hide Images

Coventry University is spending £30 million in a redevelopment scheme which will include the construction of a new Arts and Humanities building as well as renovations to existing campus buildings.

The university opened pre-qualification for construction firms last week. Firms can express interest in bidding on the in-tend website by the 19th of January.

According to Construction Enquirer, the university design team will submit a planning application this April with the aim of finalising contacts in June. Construction is expected to start early next year and last for three years.

Yes, this means there's going to be even less green Cov

The site in question is currently a green open space between the current building sites around the Graham Sutherland building located on Cox Street.

The project will be split into three stages: The development of a new 3720m² three storey building opposite the current school of Art and Design accommodation, a full overhauls of a 7400m² six storey tower, and another overhaul of a 4225m² storey block.

A spokesperson from the university told The Coventry Tab: "We're in the early stages of planning an extensive transformation of a number of buildings in our Faculty of Arts and Humanities, with the focus of redevelopment on the east side of Cox Street".

Featured image credit: Snowmanradio, from Wikimedia Commons