Image may contain: Bottle, Person, People, Human

We conducted a highly scientific investigation to see whether second year is actually better than first year

Because everyone knows third year is shit already

Second term is nearing its end, Easter is almost upon us, and we can no longer blame Christmas for the weight we gained and still haven't lost.

Half of third years are only just getting started on their dissertations and first years are still adorably naive to the workload ahead of them, BUT nothing (apart from this article obvs) can truly prepare them for second year, the creme de la creme of years.

Student houses are way, way better than halls

Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Person, People, Human

No security guards, no curfews, and wifi that's actually reliable. You live with people you actually like and there's something about the responsibilities of being an adult you'll learn to appreciate (yes, you do have to pay your bills on time).

To be fair you'll suffer wrapping up in sweater after sweater because no way will you be willing to turn that heating on. But at least you don't have to pay those extortionate Circuit Laundry charges to wash your clothes anymore.

The workload is intense

In second year, everything goes a mile a minute. You thought that one all nighter in the library first year was mad? Prepare for three in a row mate, the library is about to become your second home. At least your grades count, finally your £9,250 is actually worth it.

The deadlines go by so fast that you realise the coursework you've been putting off for a month is actually due in three days. But the sleep you get after a submission is the best sleep you'll have ever had.

House parties vs pres

Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Party, Person, People, Human

Pres at halls are actually worst. You can't even bring that eight pack of Strongbow Dark Fruits in without the strict security guards treating you like the absolute worst. Curfews mean you have to trek to the club too early and it'll be so dead for ages, so your whole night has basically been ruined thanks to them.

But house parties are the gift that keeps on giving, not only can you consume copious amounts of alcohol without worrying about being to pissed to get into the club but you can literally wear your PJs to the function and half your friends will be in their dressing gowns or slippers by 3am.

Going out is a drag

Image may contain: Word, Milkshake, Milk, Juice, Drink, Dairy, Beverage, Person, People, Human

Enjoying our stress free night in with Creams take away in hand.

Us second years have been there and done that. Bingo nights and pub quizzes at Ivy House are so much better than Kinky Fridays, and nights in are better than nights out. We've simply had enough of the only three clubs in Coventry.

Plus, Boom Tuesdays theme nights are sickening and we'd rather save our money and stay home watching The Chase in bed. What they don't tell you is that in the three months between the end of first year and the beginning of second year, you all become 50-year-olds with 8pm bedtimes.

Your housemates suck, but you love them

Image may contain: Party, Cup, Person, People, Human

That pasta dish has been 'soaking' for three days now, Amy

Fearful of not making any other friends, you agreed to live with the first group of semi-interesting people you met in freshers. Now, you're stuck living with them for the next 2 years.

They were a laugh the first few nights out, turns out they're just a liability now. Then you have the one who's wifed up and now you've basically got a whole other housemate but this one doesn't pay the rent.

However, it still beats living with that weirdo from your halls first year who stole your food and ghosted everyone for weeks at a time.

The changes in friendship groups

Image may contain: Furniture, Couch, Person, People, Human

Believe it or not, the girl you sat next to in your first lecture on your first day doesn't end up being your best friend in second year. In second year, you know a lot of people, and they know lots of people, and so on and so forth.

Going for a quick trip into town becomes a group food shop, lunch at Wagamamas and a peruse through Primark. Every activity is a group activity.

Your friend group second year is so diverse and you're literally wondering where these angels were in first year when you needed them so bad. You'll probably know at least half the people in Kasbah smokers on any given night and your SnapMaps is suddenly very Coventry concentrated.

Coventry is your kingdom

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

You know Coventry like the back of your hand by second year, you know where all the hot places are (there's basically like five), and you all know the quickest routes to Sainsbury's and Aldi.

You know the best takeaways for each night out. Spice Lounge after Kasbah, Kebab Rush after Empire (Benny's is for savages), and the burger truck after JJ's. You've also accepted Fargo Village really isn't as exciting as everyone says it is and unless you're visiting Bubble Boba for an overpriced milkshake, you'll never visit there again.

Call it the sobering reality of living in such a terribly wonderful place.