Here are the best places to take your parents when they visit Cardiff

From restaurants to days out, we’ve got you covered

It’s almost halfway through the semester, which means it’s that time of year when your parents will want to come and visit you at uni. Therefore, we’ve come up with a guide for some of the best sights and places as well as eateries in Cardiff which will show off this great city for you.

Cardiff Castle

If your parents love a good bit of sight seeing then you have to take them to the Cardiff Castle. When at the top of the tower you get a 360 degree view of the city whilst exploring Cardiff’s ancient history. As a student you get half price discount and a free membership card for 3 years which allows you to bring along visitors whenever you please. After looking around you can help yourself to a tea or coffee from the castle’s cafe overlooking the grounds.

Bute Park

In addition to the park being an easy way of getting from one place to another, its also a scenic place to show off your parents. Around the park are benches placed along the paths for you to catch up with your family about university life and things you may have missed from your home town. There are also numerous cafes which provide an array or sweet and savoury treats.

St David’s Shopping Centre

This is the perfect place for a shopping trip with your fam as St David’s has an endless amount of choice when it comes to shops. Stores include Zara, H&M, Hollister, Boss, FootLocker, Levis, The North Face, and Bershka. Just outside of the shopping centre, you will find yourself on the city’s high-street with even more options for shops like Urban Outfitters and Vans.

The Arcades

As well as shopping in the high street and shopping centres, Cardiff is also famous for its many small arcades, full of a variety of independent shops and cafes for you to explore and try with your family.

The National Museum

Here you can find the impressive history of Wales as well as collections of art work and sculptures from across the world. Taking your parents here will teach them more about the new city you now live in, and it’s also only a 2 min walk from the new Centre For Student Life, something which is also definitely worth showing off to your fam.

Now onto the crucial places to go – the eateries. We are truly spoilt for choice in Cardiff with the amount of restaurants and cafes near us, from The Ivy Asia to Turtle Bay to Slim Chickens. So we’ve rounded up a variety of places to check out when your parents come to stay.

Pasture

If your family are meat eaters then this one is definitely for you. With the restaurant specialising in steaks there’s a wide range of choice from Fillet to Tomahawk along with their variety of starters and sides that cater to everyone’s taste. As it is a steakhouse, there are only a few non-beef options but this does include a vegan starter and a vegan main for those fancying a plant-based alternative.

The Ivy

For parents with expensive taste, The Ivy’s fine dining offers you a great experience. They serve high tea as well as lunch and dinner, so they’ve got you and your parents covered for whatever meal you fancy that day. Furthermore, next door The Ivy Asia has opened which boasts a menu which includes sushi and wagyu beef. Posh.

Mermaid Quay

Located at the waterfront in Cardiff, Mermaid Quay has its own cinema as well as lots of restaurants with different cuisines which are suitable for all kinds of budgets. If your parents have a specific taste, there will undoubtedly be a restaurant to their liking. However, let’s not forget the stunning views over the water, especially during sunset.

Barker Coffee House

As mentioned above, Cardiff is well-known for its small arcades, this wonderful coffee shop is located in the Castle Arcade, which is right in the heart of the city so it’s ideal as a refuelling station after a hard day of shopping. The menu includes gluten free, vegetarian and vegan options; the drinks are heavenly too.