Breaking News

Wales has the second worst coronavirus infection rate globally

A surge of cases caused an immediate lockdown

Wales has now had more coronavirus cases in the last seven days relative to its population than any other country in the world.

The huge rise of new cases, in part driven by the new, and more infections strain of the virus, has ranked Wales second on the list of countries in the world where the virus is spreading the fastest.

According to data from WHO (World Health Organisation) analysed by the Financial Times, Wales lies just behind Lithuania as the country seeing the most daily cases.

Current countries with the most cases per 100,00 every day in the last week are as follows: Lithuania, Wales, Georgia, and Croatia.

Wales’ Covid-19 rate is also considerably worse than the United States.

Though it is important to be aware that, like many other countries listed, Wales is a relatively small country. This means that small increases in cases can skew the data significantly.

However, there is no moving away from the fact Wales’ result are among the worst in the world.

The data also suggests that the United Kingdom and Wales are both seeing faster rises in the virus than many other parts of the world. This is potentially a reflection of how much easier the new strain of the virus is transmitted.

Commenting on the data, Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price said: “Two government mistakes explain this terrible picture. Westminster’s refusal to extend furlough (until too late) meant longer firebreak difficult. Then Labour lifted restrictions too abruptly, instead of step by step as we argued.”

“It’s the politics that has failed, not the people.”