Image may contain: Porch, Urban, Town, High Rise, City, Building, Apartment Building

‘Outstanding’ Cardiff lecturer who fell from Aberconway library was ‘under pressure at work’

An inquest has heard that Dr Anderson was devoted to his work and was under a lot of pressure following a promotion

Cardiff University Accountancy lecturer, Dr Malcom Anderson died in February 2018 after falling through the roof of Aberconway Library.

He was found by a cleaner on the morning of the 19th of February and was taken to the University Hospital of Wales, where he later died of multiple injuries.

In a recent inquest, Coroner Andrew Barkley confirmed a verdict of suicide.

The inquest heard how Dr Anderson felt considerably under pressure after being made deputy head of his department. He was dedicated to his work and would reply to his 418 students any hour of the day.

In a written statement, his wife Diane said:

"He had a passionate dedication to learning and teaching and always put everyone else's needs above his own. He carried the burden of his work with him.

"He was an extremely sociable man [and] had a really good sense of humour."

Dr Anderson's colleague Louis Vallis added; "he got stressed over everything because he wanted to get things right".

A spokesman for Cardiff University said Dr Anderson was an "outstanding teacher and researcher" who "would give to all".

Cardiff University have said they take the wellbeing of all their staff extremely seriously, and there is support services and specialist counselling accessable for both staff and students.

For more information on mental health support, you can contact the Student Support and Wellbeing Centre or visit the Mind website for resources and guidance.