Image may contain: Parade, Crowd, Person, People, Human

Cardiff Vice Chancellor and UCU have agreed to challenge the pensions regulator after weeks of ‘pressure’

“The Vice Chancellor reiterated his support for working towards a solution that works for employee and employer alike.”

Strikes have been going on for three weeks now, and after constant pressure from staff and his question time meeting on Monday, Vice Chancellor, Collin Riordan has agreed to call on UCU and UUK to work with USS to challenge the pensions regulator to accept a new pension valuation.

Cardiff University College Union (UCU) welcome this as progress towards fairer pensions. They say it is encouraging that the Vice Chancellor has called for a re valuation of the current pension scheme.

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

Cardiff University College Union and Cardiff University have released an official joint statement on the pension reform:

"On Monday 5th of March the Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer of Cardiff University accepted an invitation from UCU to meet with staff and students of the uni to account for the Cardiff uni position in the current University Superannuation Scheme pensions dispute. Following discussions at the meeting, the Vice Chancellor and Cardiff UCU have agreed to call on both UCU and UUK to work wih USS to challenge the pensions regulator to accept an academically robust new and independent actuarial valuation. Cardiff University is keen to collaborate with colleagues at other universities to propose the key features of a methodology that would take proper account of USS as a multi employer scheme. The Vice Chancellor reiterated his support for working towards a solution that works for employee and employer alike."

Collin Riordan will join an increasing amount of university managers who are now backing their staff on the pensions dispute.

Image may contain: Crowd, Person, People, Human

Cardiff University College Union is set to carry on campaigning for further goals. These include campaigning for:

The Vice Chancellor to commit himself to working with UCU to pressure UUK and USS, to commit to maintaining fair and just direct benefits pension scheme for all uni staff, and to act urgently to remove the threat of deducting wages from those taking action short of a strike and for all staff to be assured they won't have to reschedule lectures upon returning to work.

They will also reitarate that the Vice Chancellor commits to full transparancy around any future decisions about changes to pay and pensions.