Anthony Joshua’s rematch against Klitschko might take place in Cardiff

Another date to put in your calendar…

Hide Images

After his well-deserved win at Wembley on Saturday night, Anthony Joshua has become a household name. According to Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn, the 2012 Olympic champion and now world champion has become so popular that in the future it is likely he’ll only fight at venues which are a similar size to Wembley. Hearn has said that if Joshua boxes again in the UK this year it is likely to be at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium.

It is likely that if Joshua does return to the ring this year it’ll be in late autumn. It has even been suggested that the Boxing Champion may be participating in a rematch with Klitschko, following the nail biting, yet gripping fight on Saturday night.

Hearn says ” The next phase [for Joshua] is about the big heavyweight championship fights.” Joshua is on his way to worldwide success and is planning to fight in countries across the world such as China and the United States. However, it has been revealed that Hearn would like Joshua to continue boxing in the UK, in an attempt to raise Britain’s worldwide boxing status.

Pictured here with his 2012 gold medal

Following Saturday night, it is evident that the British are fans of boxing and support Joshua all the way, as the fight broke box office records, with 90,000 sell-out at Wembley and a high number of pay-per-view records. It is inevitable that a fight at Cardiff’s Principality could gather the same amount of support and box office success.

Let’s just hope Cardiff doesn’t take the Anthony Joshua hype too far, no one wants boxing wannabes fighting down chippy alley at three am with curry sauce flying everywhere…