The Tab mafia is recruiting

We’re making you an offer you can’t refuse

| UPDATED application apply Apply Now Cambridge CV cv points recruitment section editors Tab

The Tab is recruiting for Easter term 2016 and we want YOU to apply.

• Do you want to write for Cambridge’s most popular student newspaper?
  • Do you want thousands of people to read your work?
  • Do you want access to the best gossip in Cambridge?
  • Do you want to come to the coolest journalism socials around?
  • Do you desperately need some CV padding?
  • Do you want a free Tab mug and T-shirt?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then we want you to apply to be a section editor next term.

Awww

1. Read the role descriptions below and then answer a few short questions by filling in this Google form or by emailing [email protected].

• What’s your vision for this section?
  • What are your favourite and least favourite things about The Tab?
  • Why should we choose you?
  • What would you do to get writers to write for you? (No need to answer this if you are applying to be a columnist.)

For those emailing, put your desired position in the subject line. Then specify your name, college, subject, year and phone number.

2. It’s not obligatory, but if you’re pleased with a piece of writing – whether an article or an essay – we’d love you to email it to [email protected]. Also, if you have a CV, attach it. If you don’t, it’s fine. We’re just interested in how you’ve been able to demonstrate organisation in other extracurriculars.

Here are the positions you can apply for:

News Editor (2)

If you have a nose for stories, like being in the loop and are attuned to college gossip, News is for you. You’ll manage a team of reporters, to make sure we get out bigger and better stories faster than our competition. Must love gossip and being nosy.

Chief News Reporter

We need someone on hand to go and experience the big events in person, everything from CUSU council to protests to crime scenes. Must love Truth.

Investigations Editor (2)

Working closely with News, the Investigations Editors work on bigger, more long-term news stories that might get picked up by national newspapers. Must have a passionate love of FOIs

Features Editor (2) 

If you’re a fan of the cuddly, inane, hilarious Tab that keeps you from getting bored in lectures, then you might be a good fit for Features. You’ll create commissions lists every week and transform the articles we’re sent into beautiful works of art worthy of being published. Must have an eye for discerning which arbitrary thing your college is.

Debate Editor (2)

If you’re constantly furious about something, frequently alienate friends and family with your strong opinions and relish fighting with the trolls in the Tab comment section, then Debate is for you. Must be able to start a fight with an empty room.

Lifestyle and Fashion Editor (2)

This position comes with a free excuse to take pictures of good looking people you see around Cambridge. It also gives you the chance to experience Cambridge’s trendiest restaurants and coolest events for free. Lifestyle and Fashion is definitely our most glamorous section. Must be fabulous.

Interviews Editor

If you want to meet celebrities ranging from Calvin Klein to the guy that runs the van of death, Interviews is for you. Must love talking to strangers.

Music Editor

Do you think everyone but you in Cambridge listens to shit music? Then apply for Music and show them the error of their ways. Must have more edge than a dodecahedron.

Theatre Editor

The Tab tries to review all of Cambridge theatre, are you the person to help us do it? A great chance to hone your reviewing skills and to get first dibs on free tickets to every show in Cambridge. Must have a flair for the dramatic.

Sports Editor

We want someone who’ll help us cover all the major sporting events in Cambridge next term, are you fit for the job? Must be able to run a marathon (jk, you just have to sit at a computer).

Weekly Columnist

You get to write whatever you want every week for the whole term. If you’ve always wanted to make everyone else listen to your complaints/funny stories/relationship woes, now is your chance. Must be able to write. That’s literally it.

Social Media Manager

The Tab needs a social media manager to look after our Facebook page, along with the senior editors, as well as work on our Snapchat and Twitter presence.

So what are you waiting for? Get applying. You’ll have an incredible term, gain invaluable experience and have something cool to stick on your CV. Just fill out our form here by 11 pm on Saturday the 5th of March. We’ll contact your shortly afterwards about interviews.