Women’s Blues Basketball sweep away their competition

Cambridge Women’s Blues Basketball complete a hugely successful season by winning the Conference Cup.

Away basketball bball Blues boat race bucs Cambridge champions competition conference cup Fresher league Molly Lewis Oxford Successful Sweep Tab Varsity Victories victory womens

Following their triumph over Oxford by a stunning 32 points – their first Varsity victory since 2007 – last Wednesday Cambridge’s Woman’s Blues Basketball team topped off an extraordinary season with victory in the BUCS Conference Cup final.

The 57-point victory over Bedford 1sts completed the triple crown of the Conference Cup, BUCS League, and Varsity.

Following impressive quarter-final and semi-final wins against Warwick (62-25) and Cranfield (55-43), and with both teams joined by crowds of enthusiastic supporters, Cambridge hosted the cup final. The fast-paced game got off to a great start for the Blues, with well-executed plays and fast breaks resulting in a 27-6 lead by the end of the first quarter. Cambridge held onto this lead throughout the second quarter, with Hilary Costello and Stephanie Polderdijk dominating under the boards and seizing every opportunity in their final game with the club. Suil Collins also had a number of put-backs, cleaning up on the offensive glass.

The Victorious Team

The second half saw the Blues’ lead increase even further thanks to Ashley Armstrong and Paloma Navarro.

The exceptional co-captain (Armstrong) represented a force to be reckoned with; whilst point guard Navarro’s fierce drives to the hoop were not to be denied. Strong defence from Elena Loche and fresher Molly Lewis kept up the pressure in the final quarter, limiting the damage inflicted by Bedford’s star player, number 10, and maintaining the fast tempo until the final whistle.

Impressive three pointers from Michelle Quay and Armstrong helped to widen the final score margin to 91-44 – a result to be proud of.

BUCS League Champions

The club would like to thank all their supporters, the members of the Men’s basketball club who joined in training sessions, and especially head coach Blaine Landis for all his hard work and dedication during the year.

Co-captain Maya Beano effectively summed up the feelings of the team at the end of this victorious season:

“We achieved everything we set out to this season. We came top in the BUCS league, excelled in the Varsity match and won our first ever Conference Cup. It has certainly given us plenty to look back on and look forward to!”