Troubled Trenton Takes on Colonialist Cambridge…Again

“Colonialism and Racism” evident in Caesarian Sunday costumes says publishing company run by Trenton Oldfield.

| UPDATED boat race caesarian sundayt Cambridge colonialism headdress native indian trenton oldfield

A publishing company run by Trenton Oldfield – the infamous anti-elitist swimmer of the 2012 Boat Race – has sunk to new attention-seeking lows by hitting out at students having a pleasant time in fancy dress.

Myrdle Court Press – the agency in question – have claimed that the fancy dress choice of a number of students this weekend indicates that

“Colonialism and Racism is Alive and Well in Cambridge.”

The publishing company were so outraged at the costumes that they uploaded an album of photos of the harmless students to their Facebook page, claiming it to be conclusive evidence of:

“colonialism and its legacies … still shaping the Great British psyche, its foreign and domestic policies and laws.”

Oldfield’s company continues by requesting those viewing the photos to “share and try to identify any of the people”, presumably to shame the Cambridge students for their behaviour. 

Casual colonialism or just a picnic in the park?

Predictably, the photos were taken at the notorious Caesarian Sunday, which this year was actually relatively calm.

The students targeted by Oldfield’s attack are said to be “shocked and confused” by the claims being made about them.

James, a 3rd year PPS student, said: “I could understand if it were Nazi outfits but the appropriation of Native American headdresses has gone on for so long that it’s symbolic meaning has been totally re-appropriated.

“The cultural practice of wearing [headdresses] as costume has gone on for so long that it’s previous attachments no longer live on inside the majority of Western – and especially British – culture.”

Trenton made waves in 2012 when he interrupted the Boat Race

The Tab wonders what all the fuss is really over; fancy dress costumes or Oldfield’s new book?