Blues Football: An Update

DANNY KERRIGAN brings us an update on the Blues’ progress as they go in search of league and cup glory.

Blues bucs cup football Leeds worcester

The Blues are making a mammoth trip to Leeds today to take on Leeds Metropolitan Carnegie 1sts in the Quarter Final of the BUCS Trophy, on the back of seven wins in seven competitive fixtures this season.

A win today would see the Light Blues book a monstrous journey to Scotland for a semi-final against either Stirling or Edinburgh. Last week, the Blues demolished arch-rivals Worcester in an outstanding 5-1 victory away from home, and a Birmingham 1sts’ slip-up saw Cambridge regain top spot in BUCS 1A with a game in hand on their Midlands rivals. Here’s the match report from CUAFC Sabbatical Officer Danny Kerrigan:

For the second consecutive week the Blues travelled north to the Midlands for an away League fixture, this time to renew rivalries with Worcester. In third meeting of the two sides this season The Blues made it a hattrick of successes with an easy, but thoroughly deserved victory.

Playing on a 3G astroturf pitch, Cambridge started the better. Haitham Sherif and Rick Totten both had chances early on, and Danny Kerrigan was denied a penalty after going past a defender following a short corner. The Blues eventually took the lead when Ben Tsuda got to the byline and crossed for Sherif, who controlled well with his back to goal before beating the keeper with a left-footed trickler.

A Worcester mistake then allowed the Blues to double their lead, Ant Childs benefitting from some lacklustre defending. Cambridge though were guilty of dropping into the comfort zone, losing a touch of their competitive edge and work rate. Worcester even managed to pull a goal back with a lovely finish from the edge of the box from their right-winger.

This was to prove a momentary lapse, however, as Cambridge reestablished their two-goal advantage almost immediately. Simon Court crossed from the right and the Worcester right-back could only head back across his own goal under pressure from Kerrigan, allowing Sherif to pounce, beating the keeper to the ball before sliding it into the net.

After the break, the expected Worcester resurgence never came. Sherif eventually completed his hattrick when the Worcester goalie fumbled a Totten cross, presenting the frontman with a tap-in. Kerrigan rounded off the scoring minutes later, playing a one-two with Totten from a short corner before placing the ball past the helpless Worcester keeper from the edge of the box.

The Blues are indeed in fantastic form, and The Tab will continue to bring you coverage of their exploits. We wish them the best of luck as they make the trek up to Leeds, and hope they can keep up their incredible run of form.

The league table makes very happy reading for the Blues boys at the moment