Street Style: Textures

PRU GARDINER and HATTIE LLOYD hit the streets of Cambridge to find this week’s best dressed students.

Cambridge fashion fur coat King's College murray edwards st johns street style texture

Textures were all over the runways at the A/W11 shows. Whilst Christopher Kane put oversized chunky knits with pale leather mini-skirts, Dior models stepped out in sumptuous brocade and velvet. And unlike some high-fashion trends, textures are easy to wear and don’t require you to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe.

Try teaming fine-knit sweaters with leather and shearling by day, and pairing luxe fabrics like silk and chiffon with fur and velvet for a more dressy evening look. You can even give a nod to the heritage trend in tweed and corduroy. The key to this style is layering – invest in a lace body or a sheer blouse and it’ll see you through to next season.

Still stuck for ideas? We hit the streets of Cambridge to bring you the students who are doing textures the best this Autumn, who says you can’t look chic in an essay crisis?

Natasha, a historian from Homerton, shows us how to do dress down leather-look trousers with a camel coat and crisp white shirt.

Ines, an Architect from King’s, shows us how to rock Sherling.

Try teaming big fur accessories with Autumnal colours for a heritage feel.

Sophie from Murray Edwards makes a bold move with her white vintage leather skirt!

Rebecca, a medic from John’s, teams leather, fur and Aztec print for a perfectly finished outfit.