Caius Beat Fitz To Seal Safety

One moment of quality is enough to beat Fitz, as Caius edge a turgid affair to beat the drop.

caius football college football Fitz football PWC Division One

A Tom Scrase goal just 10 minutes from time ensured that Caius would be playing in the PWC Division One next year.

In a scrappy match, Fitz, who by their own captain’s admission have severely fallen off the pace since they themselves were assure of safety, battled hard but were, in the end, to come up just short.

In a dire first half there was very little which could adequately be described as a chance, and the closest either side came to a goal was when Caius’ keeper Paul Livingstone parried a shot straight to an onrushing striker, who was a good two yards offside.

With long shots and midfield battles the order of the day, the game seemed to be petering out into a scoreless draw, until Caius won the game with a moment of real quality.

Marsden, who was superb throughout, working hard and showing excellent close control, began an intricate team move which resulted in a driven cross from the right. As the ball flashed across the six yard box Scrase was there to slide the ball home through the keeper’s legs.

As Fitz pushed for an equaliser, gaps opened up, and Scrase probably should have had another, but shot wide when clean through. The visitors continued to strive for a levelling goal, but never really looked likely to score, and will need to up their performance if they hope to progress in cuppers, their main focus now.

Caius meanwhile looked delighted with the three points which put them seven clear of Catz who only have two games to play. Catz will need to win both of those if they are to rise above Christ’s, who they are yet to play, and avoid the drop.