Duke Has Had His Phil Of Cambridge

University Chancellor Prince Philip is to leave his post after he turns 90 on June 10 this year.

chancellor kate middleton Prince Philip prince william royal family The Queen

Prince Phil is currently patron of 800 organisations, including the universities of Cambridge and Edinburgh, and UK Athletics, and plans to gradually leave all of them.

The move will create vacancies to be filled by Prince William’s fiancé Kate Middleton.

St James’ Palace said it “was too early to say” whether the princess in waiting would take on some of his old posts, but many believe it will be a good way of easing her into public life.

The Duke has been a controversial figure in public life since marrying the Queen – while touring a factory in Scotland in 2000 he said a fuse box was so crude it “looked as though it had been put in by an Indian”.

Critics have often accused him of a lack of tact – in Cardiff in 2009 he told a group of children from the British Deaf Association who were standing by a Caribbean steel bank: “If you’re near that music it’s no wonder you’re deaf”.

Asked about the Duke’s legacy, many students look on him with affection. Natsci Tom from Homerton, said that he “had good banter, adding that he hoped the Prince would give “Miss Middleton some lessons on his trademark methods of greeting members of the public”.

Some were more cynical, however. Andy Zhao from Corpus told The Tab that he “didn’t really give a shit” who the University Chancellor was, given his backseat role. “It’s not like his gaffes change people’s impressions of Cambridge.”

The news comes days after the announcement that Prince William and Kate Middleton look set to take the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as their official title, so the town is likely to keep up its Royal connections.