Rugby Round Up: Jesus Trounce Trinity To Signal Intent

Jesus sent out a clear message to their league rivals by posting a cricket score against Trinity, Whilst Queen’s beat Magdalene

college rugby jesus jesus rugby Rugby Trinity

Jesus 74 – 5 Trinity

On the opening Tuesday of the rugby season Jesus sent out a clear message to their league rivals by posting a cricket score against Trinity.

After a strong showing in the Varsity sevens tournament over the weekend, Jesus showed that their fifteens form is just as formidable. While Trinity proved a dogged opponent till the end, they were unable to keep pace with the rooster-inspired Jesuans.

The first three Jesuan tries were scored by backs but they owed much to the solid foundation laid by the team’s forwards. Trinity defenders were pulled in by attacks around the fringes and the three-quarters exploited the gaps that resulted.

Trinity did not take a step back, however. Aided by a blow happy referee and Jesus indiscipline, they managed to set up camp in the Jesuan 22. After a series of pick and goes a Trinity player barreled over for the score.

The conversion that followed left much to be desired. Opting not to use a tee, the Trinity kicker was left to rue his decision as his drop kick swerved away from the posts and ended up on the far touchline.

The Jesus response to this try was immediate. Three tries followed in quick succession as Jesus ramped it up a notch. The most notable try of the three came after a display of excellent handling which made the space for Jesus’ new speed merchant, Chris Bluckey, to finish in the corner. The half ended 38-5 to Jesus.

Photos courtesy of Katrina Hewitt.

Trinity started the second half the stronger side and was soon threatening the Jesus try line. However, Jesus’ superiority in the forwards began to tell. The Jesus pack continued to disrupt Trinity’s lineout and ball won against the head was used to launch devastating counter-attacks.

Jesus’ 7th try came from stolen lineout ball. After gathering the ball tapped back by the lineout pod, Oli “ori” Jones danced his way under the posts.

This try opened the floodgates and the Jesus backs’ ability to pop the ball out of the tackle created numerous overlaps. All the Jesus wingers now had to do to score was catch the ball.

Photos courtesy of Katrina Hewitt.

There were though some moments to cheer for the Trinity supporters. Whilst there were several line-breaks the main cause for celebration was the yellow card given to a Jesus player who had been on the pitch for not more than two minutes.

Jesus saved their best till last. After slick hands Charlie James finished off a training field move that 60 per cent of the time works every time.

Speaking after the match Trinity captain, Jack Lewars, told the Tab “Full credit to Jesus, we were well beaten” and mentioned that his side were without 9 first team players.

As for Jesus, all they had to worry about was which colour of their svelte new kit to wear.

Queens’ 24 v 5 Magdalene

In what was predicted to be a close match between the two newly promoted sides tensions rode high between two teams that know each other very well from last year.

Queens overcame a battling Magdalene side in what might prove a crucial result later on in the season.

It was a closely fought contest with Queens just having the edge up front providing quick ball for their backs to exploit the disorganised Magdalene defence. Queens dominated the early encounters with Magdalene seeing little of the ball in the first half; despite this Magdalene’s frantic scramble defence was able to reduce Queen’s to only a one try lead at half time.

Magdalene began brighter in the second half with newcomer Cobb impressing with some driving runs through the heart of the Queen’s defence; however Queen’s struck again when a quick counter attack was well finished.

Magdalene initially responded well with flanker Legh and hooker Spain leading the pack that finally began to put some phases together, creating space for the dangerous Taylor, Sanders and debutant Eduardo out wide.

However, it was  from a tap penalty 10 metres out that Magdalene was able to score, with big man Morrissey crashing over.

Unfortunately for Magdalene, Queen’s replied strongly, dominating the territorial battle. Magdalene bagan to concede penalties as Queen’s turned up the heat, and after long periods of pressure Queen’s again struck out wide.

Magdalene kept battling doggedly but lacked the fitness to drive Queen’s back and after another frantic passage of play Queen’s struck the fatal blow putting the game out of reach.

Queen’s looked more organised than Magdalene and more dynamic up front, however when Magdalene were able to secure quick, clean ball the backs did occasionally look dangerous and the forwards were punishing around the breakdown.

It is clear though that if Magdalene want to stay at this level they will need to work a lot harder as a team and improve quickly as things do not get any easier with the arrival of John’s next week.

The other Division 1 results this week were:

Downing 0 v 0 John’s – REPORT here.