John’s Draw Blank To Blow Top Division Open

Victory evades John’s first the first time in almost three years to throw the top division wide open.

college rugby division 1 division 1 rugby downing downing rugby john's rugby johns Rugby st johns

St John’s 0- 0 Downing.

Rugby’s top division has been blown open after Downing held John’s to a surprise 0-0 draw.

The result is the first time John’s have failed to win a league game for almost three years. Their last drawn result was a 3-3 against Jesus in November 2007.

John’s started strongly and drove Downing off the ball in their first two scrums. Downing however soon fought back and remained solid for the rest of the match.

The teams were evenly matched and neither side created outstanding scoring opportunities. Both defences remained firm and it is hard to remember a missed tackle on either side.

The difference lay in attack. John’s suffered a number of handling errors in the backs while Downing caused problems when they shipped the ball out wide.

Downing could have gone ahead early on but fly half Steve Townend watched his effort fly narrowly to the right, kicking into the wind.

John’s looked demoralised after 20 minutes and remained flat for the rest of the match. The loss of key players in the back line was noticeable when in possession.

Ex Downing hooker, James Dibble described the John’s offence as “one dimensional, one up runners with signs on them saying please tackle me”.

He added “John’s looked like they were shitting themselves in the last 20 minutes, 6 years unbeaten is a big record to lose”.

When asked for a quote at the end of the match, John’s captain Mat Thomas declined to comment. Asked if things were “that bad?”, he responded “yes”.

However, sometime after the game he conceded to The Tab that he was “pleased with the heart that the boys showed” but that ominously for the Red Boys “there is plenty of work on for the next week…”

Downing support smelled blood in the dying minutes and cheeed their captain on with this gem:

“Posh spice is a slapper, she wears a wonder bra, and when shes shaggin Beckam she thinks of Keith Shagyard – Keith Shagyard!”

Downing face Jesus next Tuesday in a decisive clash. The sides didn’t meet last year and both teams are brimming with fresher talent. Not even The Tab dares to predict who will win.

Whatever happens next week, college rugby’s Big Three- John’s, Downing and Jesus- will all fancy their chances of taking home the silverware from the most open league in years.

The other Division 1 results this week were:

Jesus 74 v 5  Trinity

Queens’ 24 v 5 Magdalene

Follow all the college rugby news and results in The Tab, including news of Jesus’ thrashing of Trinity and CCK’s dramatic promotion.