Revenge Is Sweet For Women Cricketers

CUWCC avenge their defeat against Durham in bottom table dog-fight

Blues cricket cuwcc durham university women's cricket women's sport

Durham 131 all out (45 overs)

Bellfield 4 for 12

Cambridge 132 – 6 (44 overs)

Bellfield 60

This Sunday, the Blues women’s cricketers faced Durham University in a bottom of the table battle grudge match. A strong all-round performance and heroics from Helen Bellfield saw the Light blues avenge their previous defeat.

CUWCC went into the match in the knowledge that they were capable of beating their opponents. They had beaten Durham in the cup last year and Durham were without Holly Colvin, last year voted the best bowler in the world.

After a tricky start, with the wind making it hard work for the pace bowlers, it was the spinners who really made the breakthroughs on Sunday. Danielle Lavender and Captain Ellie Fielding slowed the run rate right down, and cut a swathe through Durham’s top order, with Lavender taking 3 wickets for 26 runs.

The Cambridge eleven were all noise in the field, creating difficult batting conditions with their banter and jokes. Energetic fielding from Vicky Evans, Tory Clarkson and Paris Seyed-Safi kept the batsmen pinned down. Evans, in particular, made some athletic dives to stop Durham scoring.

On came Bellfield to bowl, and with great flight and guile, she demolished the lower order, who couldn’t read the spin, or the flight. Tory Clarkson came on for a second spell, and, after having one LBW appeal turned down, was successful with her second one. Clarkson also clean bowled another Durham batswomen. Bellfield took the last wicket, and CUWCC went into tea upbeat.

Openers Davis and Fielding made positive starts after the interval, and got the Light Blues off to a solid start. When Fielding’s wicket fell, Donnelly put in a confident performance to move Cambridge on. However, the Light Blues struggled to keep the run rate up against Durham’s miserly spinners.

Bellfield, Donnelly and then Cadge started to pick things up, however, with good running between the wickets and shrewd judgement, to the frustration of the Durham fielders.

After Cadge, Lavender, and Evans fell quickly, it was left to Bellfield and Clarkson to score the winning runs, which Bellfield did with a wonderful shot over the infield.

Cambridge, delighted, celebrated their first win of the season, and now look forward to Wednesday’s match against Loughborough, against whom they fell short last week.

The women’s varsity will be on the 4th July at Lord’s.